After a tough 2020, we are looking ahead to 2021! Slated for this year are several projects including road improvements and new functions in our Community Development department.
- WEBSTER STREET — Webster Street will see improvements this year between North Street and South Street. This project was awarded County Assistance Road Systems (CARS) funding from Johnson County to help the City complete design, repairs and construction for the main thoroughfare.
- 199TH ROUNDABOUT — After several delays due to land negotiations and COVID-19, improvements at the intersection of 199th Street and Ridgeview Road, near Spring Hill High School, are set to take place this year. After a 2017 traffic study of the intersection, a roundabout was recommended to the City. In 2019, the City Council approved a design contract with TranSystems for a single-lane roundabout at the intersection with room to add a second lane in the future.
- PROPOSED JUSTICE CENTER — Later this year, the City may ask residents to vote on a proposed justice center to house both our Police Department and Municipal Court. The proposed justice center concept would alleviate overcrowding issues at our current police department and allow both departments to grow as Spring Hill grows.
- ONLINE PERMITS — In first quarter 2021, we will be rolling out our new online permitting program! You will be able to apply for and pay for most types of permits on our website. You will also be able to check the status of those permits! Stay tuned for more information on this exciting new program!
Like most residents, our 2020 plans were changed with the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic. As essential workers, all City staff worked tirelessly to provide you the same services in a safe and effective manner. Here are a few things that happened in 2020:
- VETERANS PARK OPENS — Our largest park ever opened in July! Residents can now enjoy fishing at Spring Hill City Lake, kayaking via a canoe launch or bringing their dogs for a run at Melvin Murry Dog Park. A veterans memorial and pavilion are still in the works for this amenity!
- RECORD YEAR IN PERMITS — Despite the pandemic, our Community Development department never slowed down. As of Dec. 24, 1,012 permits had been issued for 2020. That’s almost double what was issued in 2019 and 2018! Of those permits, 181 were for new single family homes, another record-setting number! October was a record month with a total of 133 permits issued.
- LIVESTREAMING MEETINGS — At the request of the City Council, staff researched how to livestream City meetings. In July, City Council and Planning Commission meetings officially began livestreaming to YouTube. Subscribe to our YouTube channel to receive alerts when meetings are happening: https://bit.ly/COSHYouTube
- GOLF CARTS NOW LEGAL — In September, the City Council approved allowing golf carts on certain streets within the City limits. Golf carts are allowed on streets with speed limits of 25 mph and must be insured and operated by a licensed driver.
- PET REGISTRATION REPEALED — The City Council approved repealing the pet registration and fee in November. Pets are still required to have a current rabies vaccination. The City also still has a two dog limit with a permit required to have a third dog.
- RESIDENT/BUSINESS SURVEY — In February, City staff worked with ETC Institute to develop and analyze a resident survey and business survey of City services. 325 residents and 45 businesses responded, far exceeding the original goals. View the final results: http://bit.ly/3qYY9gF
- WOODLAND RIDGE PARK RENAMED — In November, the Woodland Ridge ponds were renamed as Legacy Park. The park was formerly known as Melvin Murry Park with the Melvin Murry name moved to the dog park at Veterans Park because of its prominent location.
- BUSINESS OPENINGS — Spring Hill welcomed a variety of new businesses in 2020, a year tough on business. New businesses included Pop’s Sweet Shop, 115 S. Main St.; Secure Store 169, 18600 Webster St.; AKC Pros, 19010 Madison St.; O’Reilly Auto Parts, 704 S. Webster St.; and a coming soon announcement from QuikTrip!